Done! Well, almost. The wing mounting is fastened with four nylon bolts, two for each half. And because of the pushrods going to the tail I can’t reach the ones at the back. I have to modify it to make it more user friendly with a pin or screw to lock it in place, before I can fly it. But it looks like I wanted it to, it balanced perfectly, and hopefully it’ll still fly like the classic Tiger 2 does. More pictures in the Flickr album.
I’ve had a Phoenix Model Tiger 3 sitting in my attic for a long time.
I’m a fan of the Goldberg Tiger 2 (had two) and I couldn’t resist this one when it was for sale by a fellow club member, unboxed but unbuilt. Problem was, I can’t stand to look at it. It’s a Tiger replica, and to my eyes it looks terrible since it’s not original. So I thought I’d modify it!
By cutting off the turtle deck, adding a proper nose and a new covering, it might look more like a Kwik Fli. The Tiger Fli Project was born.
We had an informal gathering of pilots to fly, have fun and informally compete in a vintage pattern meet at Jarlsberg airport. The name honors the Norwegian pattern icon Tore Paulsen. I came 5th with my Curare. Enjoy the pictures here.
The wonderfully strange Yoshioka Aladdin 45L that I built in the autumn of 2012 has finally flown, after hanging on my wall for almost three years (That’s what family life can do to ones hobby). The first flight was highly successful. After some trimming, it flew hands off straight and level. The engine, an old but well looked after YS .63 FZ ran rich but did not stop. It has ample power, it’s not a rocket, but it pulls it along with enthusiasm. The sight of the sleek plane with the fourstroke sound was very strange. It looks like a pattern plane and sounds like a scale model.
The Aladdin has a very strange feature, an offset engine installation. It is explained in the poorly translated Japanese instructions that mounting the engine like this does not require any right thrust. It looks very odd, and gives the plane its trademark appearance. See here:
Offset! It’s mounted 90 degrees to the models centreline. The benefit, apart from the obvious fact that the engine and muffler are almost completely buried in the cowling and not hanging out the side, is that right thrust will vary with engine RPM, and this setup will not. I have just the one flight, but I could see no apparent problems in the air, it certainly flew straight enough. Perhaps it really does work? But if so, why haven’t others done the same? Comments?
The O.S engine gave me a little headache. I ran it at home a little bit, and it ran strong and started like any O.S motor should, i.e. with a light flip of the prop. It tached 10.000 rpm on the APC 11×12 and idled smoothly. All was well and then I tried holding the nose up, and it leaned out badly. A lot of tweaking later, I was unable to fix it. I re-did the fuel plumbing and moved the tank a lot further forward and hoped that would solve it. It may have been optimistic having the tank as far back as I did without using a pump or header tank.
On the field yesterday I had exactly the same problems. I switched from an O.S 8 plug to an OS F, and that did nothing. I tried a smaller prop, an 11×9, and that helped a bit. I then tuned it some more and eventually it ran strong. I had one flight where I landed early because I could hear it leaning out a bit in loops, tuned more, and then suddenly it ran like nothing else mattered, not missing a beat going up, down, sideways or anything. Success! The third flight was suddenly bad again, leaning out. Landed in a hurry, tuned, and suddenly it ran great again.
I have a successful track record of making stubborn engines run good, and I don’t intend to let this one beat me. I suspect the pipe is slightly too long, and I think shortening it might do the trick. I will also try an 11×10 to load it up just a bit more.
The plane flew just like you’d expect. I had some wild deja vu’s while flying. I have lots of flights on the old version of it, so it behaved as I remembered, which is a strange sensation when I was mentally prepared for a maiden flight! I was also surprised at how well behaved it was on takeoff and landing, and how well it tracked straight and level. It has no vices whatsoever.
Here’s a before/after photo, with at least 13 years between the two:
All the pictures from the project can be found here:
The Killer Kaos is covered and painted. I used Tamiya Lexan spray cans to paint over the white Oracover. Before painting, I gently scruffed the Oracover with 1000-grit sandpaper, which makes it less glossy without scratching it.
Tamiya lexan spray paint covers well and is easy to work with.
To avoid paint seeping under the masking tape like shown above, here’s a trick I use:
Spray a coat of clear, flat paint first. If any clear paint bleeds under the tape, it won’t show, and it fills the edge so that the color coat will not bleed under.
A perfect result
The undercarriage looked completely hopeless.
I cut the legs and added a pair of Great Planes axels. It now sits lower and has a perfect stance with clearance for up to 12 inch props.
Tettra 55 mm wheels look great
I repainted an old field box to match
Next up is hooking up the control surfaces in the tail, mounting engine and pipe, and the tank plumbing.
Photo by Karlheinz Gatschnig, www.kgh.at
The vintage F3A meet Rosentalpokal is flown using models from around 1975, in Carinthia, Austria. Karlheinz Gatschnig was there and took some wonderful photos.
The event was also covered by FMT magazine and in Prop.at issue 3/2014 (PDF)
Notice the big Dalotel pictured. It is a prototype of an ARF that will be available from Schweighofer. It exactly replicates Hanno Prettners original Tournament of Champions Dalotel.
See all the photos from Karlheinz Gatschnig here